1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons tomato puree
3 tablespoons worcestshire sauce
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions;
In a heavy 4 QT saucepan, bring turtle meat and water to boil.
Skim off Foam. Chop 1 onion and set aside. Quarter the other onion; add to saucepan along with bay leaf, cayenne pepper and salt. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and cut into 1/2" cubes, set aside. Strain broth and set aside. Rinse and dry saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
Cook chopped inion until temder. add flour, cook and stir until bubbly and lightly browned. Whisk in the reserved broth; cook and stir until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in tomato puree and worcestershire sauce, uncovered for 10 minutes. Add Chicken broth, eggs, lemon juice and turtle meat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with parsley. Makes 4-6 servings. Enjoy-from ProMo's kitchen to yours. grill grin

Posted By: Bob Smith

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/26/11 08:22 PM

Grew with a dad from south Mississippi who had a desire to make sure I tried just about hillbilly "food" ever contrived! Turtle ranked down there below possum and raccoon! Never quite acquired a taste for some of those fine belly draggin' critters! roll_eyes confused
Posted By: ProMo

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/26/11 08:43 PM

Take my word for it Brother Bob-racoon & opossum i have tried and would never again, but the turtle soup specially with that recipe is some of the best eatin' you could imagine. And it's got to be loggerhead or snappin turtle. The regular OL'(HELP ME MR. WIZARD lol444 happy2-i crack myself up ), Terrapin or Box Turtle tastes terrible. Use to be in a Huntin' Club out in Taylor co. One of the members tried turtle stew with a few OL' box turtles and it gave most of us the scoots. peek eeks2
Posted By: bamabassman

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/29/11 02:57 AM

growing up i HAD to eat coon, possum AND turtle soup. don't know what was in it but i liked turtle. coon was stringy, possum greezy. and it was my GREAT-GREAT aunt who made it. cooked it in it's own shell over a wood burning stove. iw asn't but like 8-9 yrs old though. had taters,carrots onions in it i know. i ate it. but don't think i would now. hahaha!!
Posted By: bigboysdontcry

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/29/11 09:42 PM

Talking about road kill Turtles, Possums,and Raccoons. So ProMo is that where you get you meat for you recipes. How about beavers?

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/29/11 10:28 PM

I eat rabbit, yep.
Posted By: IceAAA

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/30/11 12:32 AM

You're killing me Keith... trout
Posted By: Bob Smith

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/30/11 12:42 AM

He has been warned!! lol
Posted By: IceAAA

Re: Turtle Soup - 09/30/11 01:02 AM

I feel like a dirty old man and am having disturbing images that require elevated alcohol consumption this evening.

Re: Turtle Soup - 11/03/11 09:41 AM

confused
Posted By: hockeyruss123

Re: Turtle Soup - 11/03/11 10:04 PM

im just glad to say ive never had turtle possum or raccoons for a meal.. i guess im a couple fries short of a happy meal.

Re: Turtle Soup - 11/04/11 11:23 AM

Or maybe you don't have both Oars in the water-LOL lol444 trout grin
© 2019 Georgia Fishing Forum