Coastal Conservation Association Georgia
BASSMASTER
GFF on Facebook
International Game Fish Association
Barry Stokesí Southwest Outdoors Report
Honey Hole All Outdoors Television
Advertisement
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 119 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Holding the Line Guide Service, shawn6304, lakesidemarine, bass man, Lem
6437 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Bob Smith 4,050
bojangles 1,483
Mudshark III 1,000
IceAAA 923
GFF Staff 758
Tom Cox 501
Craig 480
Wally 382
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics4,526
Posts20,438
Members6,437
Most Online2,642
Feb 20th, 2020
Print Thread
The Strength of the SEC #2095 08/21/11 03:19 PM
T
The Fishing Physicist Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
One of the reasons that the SEC is such a strong football conference is the make up of the conference in terms of the universities that compose the conference. Currently there are 12 universities that are a part of the SEC. Of those 12, 6 are the only universities in their home state that are a part of the SEC. The other six are spread in to three state with just two in each of these three states. With Vanderbilt being a private university with relatively limited support in Tennessee that leaves Univ. of Tennessee as being the only university in that state with broad statewide support.

Compare that with the old Southwest Conference. Baylor, TCU, SMU, and Rice all were in Texas, and all were relatively small universities with limited alumni bases, and fan bases. Historically the Univ. of Texas has had the largest alumni base, and fan base. In the past 30 years in particular Texas A&M has grow remarkably. It has developed a alumni, and former student base second is size only to Univ. of Texas. When Arkansas left for the SEC the SWC became a one state conference. This caused the fan base to be limited to just Texas. Which in turned limited the exposure of SWC football to Texas for the most part. Even with Arkansas the fan, and exposure base was not be very little larger.

If Texas A&M ends up joining the SEC along with say the Univ. of Oklahoma the SEC will be THE conference in the Sunbelt.

TFP

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #2101 08/21/11 06:40 PM
B
bamabassman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
well buddy, a &m ain't coming to the S E C. sorry, i don't want them in there anyweay. not becasue i am scaired or nothing. heck, i want GA TECH back in here. they were a part of it from the beginning. fl st was on the list of possibilities to join too. as is miami. don't want either of them either. rather have ga tech and clemson. join. still good schools and great teams.

just my opion.

i work to live, not live to work.
Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: bamabassman] #2102 08/21/11 07:18 PM
T
The Fishing Physicist Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted by bamabassman
well buddy, a &m ain't coming to the S E C. sorry, i don't want them in there anyweay. not becasue i am scaired or nothing. heck, i want GA TECH back in here. they were a part of it from the beginning. fl st was on the list of possibilities to join too. as is miami. don't want either of them either. rather have ga tech and clemson. join. still good schools and great teams.

just my opion.

Iím not arguing what I want in my original post. What you, or I want is probably NOT at the top of the list of the powers that be in college football. What I was/am arguing is that if A&M, and OU join the SEC it will increase the market for SEC football. Texas is the second most populous of the fifty states, and is at bare minimum, as football crazy as any of the other 49. It very well may be the largest football market in the world. The SEC is totally aware of this. College football has become a BIG business when it comes to the big conferences. The bottom line drives decision making for the SEC, and the member universities just like it does in the rest of big time college athletics.

Thus, having A&M in the SEC would enhance the SECís bottom line along with the member universities of the SEC.

TFP

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #2114 08/22/11 01:14 AM
P
ProMo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
FSU & Mo to join maybe as well.

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #2119 08/22/11 02:49 AM
B
bamabassman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
i understand fishing, and i agree with what oyu are saying.

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: bamabassman] #2145 08/22/11 01:05 PM
P
ProMo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Richt needs probably no less then an SEC title to keep his job, that's what i an hearing out of Athens, my oldest daughter graduated UGA and she says they are talking. wall

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: bamabassman] #2150 08/22/11 01:54 PM
D
Dropshott Ninja Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by bamabassman

just my opion.

Hey bamaman you dont have to worry much about the U moving shoot there may not be any program down there to move after the NCAA gets done with them. I have been a life long Canes fan, what makes me mad is unlike USC, Ohio St. and Auburn is aleast their programs won something for all their cheating what did they get a 7-5 record wth......

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: Dropshott Ninja] #2162 08/22/11 03:22 PM
Bob Smith Offline
GFF Team Angler
GFF Team Angler
Sean! Great to see ya back again. Did you ever figure out what happened?

Porko LIKE the GFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/georgiafishingforum
Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: Bob Smith] #2220 08/23/11 01:52 AM
H
hockeyruss123 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted by Bob Smith
Sean! Great to see ya back again. Did you ever figure out what happened?

brain fart bob... wall

he was in on the U scandal... cheerleader go canes go!!!

he was probably still logged in at work.. angel

how about you? banana2
Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: hockeyruss123] #2269 08/23/11 09:31 PM
D
Dropshott Ninja Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
No I didn't but thats ok. Russ if it was me I wouldn't throw them under the bus just because I got caught. Im sure he wouldn't last long in there....lol

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #2287 08/24/11 02:06 AM
B
bamabassman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
promo....did oyu happen to watch the espnu show aobut the SEC? they are predicting bama-ga for the title this year. georgia over SOUTH CAROLINA.....interesting hmm? but "they" say bama will win the SEC title and lose to FLORIDA STATE FOR TEH NATIONAL TITLE. it seems confusing, since EVERYONE else is saying OKLAHOMA is going all the way this year. i find it funny really. predicting winners when they ain't even suited for for the first game yet.

Re: The Strength of the SEC [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #20472 06/19/21 06:50 PM
M
Mudshark III Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Guess what guys, Texas A&M joined the SEC.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  bojangles, IceAAA, Mwest48, Wally 

© 2011-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide