Coastal Conservation Association Georgia
BASSMASTER
GFF on Facebook
International Game Fish Association
Barry Stokesí Southwest Outdoors Report
Honey Hole All Outdoors Television
Advertisement
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 397 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dbwilk, ADAM12, pbabbini, bacolmm, Jayare1077
6395 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Bob Smith 4,048
bojangles 1,483
IceAAA 923
GFF Staff 757
Tom Cox 501
Craig 480
Wally 382
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics4,376
Posts19,035
Members6,395
Most Online2,642
Feb 20th, 2020
Print Thread
Weiss 5-10 #17638 05/11/15 04:28 AM
O
Occasionalfisher Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
My dad and I fished a benefit tourney at Weiss Saturday and it was a strange day. First of all the tourney was out of Riverside and the ramp was overflowing with the bi-weekly regular tourney they have out of there as well.
Water temps were from 73 to 77 and air temps were from 63 to 93 when we got out of the water at 3 pm Ga Time.
We had 12.54 lbs and I am not sure what won, want to say 17, but that may not be anywhere near right I never heard the final total.
Tourney paid 4 places, we finished 5th or 6th I am pretty sure.
While many people hate to fish this time of year at Weiss because it is the funky time post-spawn, it has always been one of my favorite times to fish the lake because it is normally a topwater and worm kinda day and that is how I like to fish the lake.
We fished a little grass and a little rock and a little wood and a few docks and found that other than one 5 lb fish my dad caught in 6 inches of water on a worm quality really was not there. We caught a bunch of fish, probably 18 between us, but everything came on a worm. I lost a 4 plus fish that jumped and threw my worm that really would have helped us, we saw the fish as it back-flipped a few times before it spit out my hook.
We never caught a fish on a moving bait and we threw a bunch of them, spinnerbait, chatterbait, topwater, cranks and so on and not a whiff. Normally this time of year I can get multiple hits on a topwater walking bait but I only had one swirl on it all day and it missed it completely.
Also the worm bites were not bites, you just had to guess you had a bite and set the hook. Sometimes you would see your line jump or move off, but most times the fish were just sitting with the bait.
Really a frustrating day on the water. I think we had a plan to have a shot at winning the tourney if everything had been like normal for this time of the year, but it seems everything over at Weiss is two weeks or so behind.
Glad my dad caught a good one, but I let the cause down a little, lost a good fish, that happens, but I didn't think well on the water, and on that lake that really bothers me. I have fished it my whole life, I should have made better decisions.

Re: Weiss 5-10 [Re: Occasionalfisher] #17639 05/11/15 02:04 PM
Bob Smith Online Content
GFF Team Angler
Online Content
GFF Team Angler
Ron, you shouldn't complain! We were out the Weiss Mart and it took 13.58 to win ours, 8.75 to place in the money. I only had one keeper after all the good trips I had in April. You and Wayne made a great showing from what I can see! Did the Thurmans fish the same event as you guys. I ran into them at the Quick Trip on 41 Saturday morning and they said they were fishing a tournament out of Riverside?

Porko LIKE the GFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/georgiafishingforum
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  bojangles, IceAAA, Mwest48, Wally 

© 2011-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide