Coastal Conservation Association Georgia
BASSMASTER
GFF on Facebook
International Game Fish Association
Barry Stokes’ Southwest Outdoors Report
Honey Hole All Outdoors Television
Advertisement
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 331 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Wydner, dbwilk, ADAM12, pbabbini, bacolmm
6396 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Bob Smith 4,050
bojangles 1,483
IceAAA 923
GFF Staff 757
Tom Cox 501
Craig 480
Wally 382
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics4,379
Posts19,044
Members6,396
Most Online2,642
Feb 20th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KSU Fishing Team #16650 08/10/14 11:17 AM
F
FishermanFrank Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Hey everybody, just wanted to let ya'll know that I am officially the Vice President of the KSU Fishing Team. I had the privilege of meeting each student that will be on the team this upcoming school year and it should be a lot of fun. We are slowly growing our numbers from 1-2 boats last school year to 3-4 boats this school year (about a dozen total members). I am excited to see what is in store with this college fishing.

Yes I am still the Assistant Director for ABA AFT D-125 (Allatoona). But this is strictly about the college fishing. I am already great friends with the President of the Club and we have already talked over things to do this Fall and into Spring.

One thing we plan on doing as a Club is to do some fundraisers to help raise money for expenses within the club. The more money we raise the more things we will be able to do as a team.

Here is my questions:
What are some good ideas for raffle items to raffle off? Items that would spark a lot of interest. One of our club sponsors is the Dugout so I'm sure Craig will have a few ideas as well smile

I mentioned that I would be interested in doing a fundraiser (benefit) Tournament on Allatoona. Which month between now and next summer would spark interest to ya'll?
Basically trying to figure out the best time to do a benefit tournament like this to get great participation. This would be strictly a fundraiser tournament and not connected to ABA. This would be straight forward set entry fee and fish as a 2 person team or by yourself.

I am sure I will be talking to Porko on here about his thoughts on a Fundraiser (benefit) tournament and how to properly run it. Such as percentage of payout to the field vs percentage that goes directly to the club.

I wanted to make a post like this so I can start planning ahead and get some ideas from you guys. I want to do this Fundraiser (benefit) tournament the right way with great participation. Also great participation in our raffle we plan on doing as well.

Thanks for your time,
Frank smile

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16651 08/10/14 12:57 PM
C
Coach Paul Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Congrats to you. You are a busy dude.

Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16652 08/10/14 01:15 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thank you and yes!! Gotta take advantage of this time before I get into any serious relationships.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16653 08/10/14 02:32 PM
Bob Smith Offline
GFF Team Angler
GFF Team Angler
Good deal, a good relationship will go bad quickly with too much time dedicated to Bass Fishing so do it now, then get serious.
As far as the fund raiser, you would have do a bunch of them to generate any real funds. Allatoona fishermen react to a low entry high payback type tournament. That doesn't fit the fundraiser scheme too well. You could run them with a total $75 entry ($25 to the fund, $10 to big Bass and $40 to the pot, and maybe have a "winner take all" side pot for $10) and get some decent turn outs. I run my events on a 1 place for every 5 entries payback to provide the highest number of paybacks. You could run them on a 1 place for every 7 entries and get a higher payback per place. The best policy for a fund raiser is to get as many door prizes (good door prizes) as possible. If you get in good with Cabelas and Academy that will help. Banners with your team logo and the sponsor logos will help draw more sponsors (advertising), thus a good banner company in the area will make another good sponsor. I saw you mentioned the Dugout and that's good, Craig is a good guy. Don't forget the Lester's and Nature's Tackle Box! Kohl Lester was on the KSU team for a while and I don't know if he still is?
Don't expect folks to come knocking down your door wanting to help you guys, raising money is hard work and the whole team needs to get out there and knock on doors. You need to hit the oil companies, hotel chains, even local business like Concrete companies, Contractors, and other "not normally fishing" type companies. You will be surprised!

Porko LIKE the GFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/georgiafishingforum
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16657 08/11/14 03:01 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thanks for the information Bob. Yes I know I'm looking at quite a bit of work on my hands. It just seemed like a good idea to start brainstorming ideas and creating a gameplan for the near future. Yes in order to be successful at this it will take some time and effort but definitely see some great potential with this in the near future.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16658 08/11/14 11:21 AM
P
ProMo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Bob covered it all Frank, very good solid advice. I ran the ACT(Allatoona Charity Tournaments)for two years until it just burnt me out but we were giving 15% from each event to local need families who had tragedies in their lives. One thing the anglers who fish my events did was donate to a fund for the families. We did the last 6 tournaments i ran for a little girl from Jasper named Chloe who had a brain tumor, the winners always donated for her & her parents on top of what we raised, so i would put out a coffee can or something at registration and after weigh-in for donations for the KSU team, i know i would donate win or lose. Best of luck to you and the KSU team, i am partial to KSU because my wife and youngest daughter both got a business degree from there...so i will be pulling for the 'OWLS' flag

Last edited by ProMo; 08/11/14 11:23 AM.
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16659 08/11/14 11:35 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thanks Promo smile
I will keep the donation idea in mind.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16661 08/11/14 01:17 PM
P
ProMo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by FishermanFrank
Thanks Promo smile
I will keep the donation idea in mind.

It will work, there are still some kind hearted folks out there grin who want to help a good cause and i think college bass fishing helps the future of our sport. banana2

Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16674 08/13/14 10:57 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Hey everybody, so I have been doing some talking around and it sounds like my Club members and I are slowly coming to agreements with certain parts of this fundraiser tournament.

Two main questions:
1.) I'm not asking for a specific date yet but what month do ya'll think will spark the most interest to people? Best month in the fall and best month in the spring? (I like fishing in the winter too but not sure if everyone would be willing to do something like this in the extreme cold unless it was for a tragic accident). If we are going to base it on strictly the time of year that people get the most bites then that would be April - May in the Spring. But then there are occasionally some great flurries of schooling spotted bass in the Fall as well.

2.) I prefer Gatewood ramp because of how much I have fished there and how it is run by Bartow County and know the people who run it. But before we commit to Gatewood Ramp my club members wanted me to check into the possibility of doing it out of Galts Ferry Ramp. Yes I know it is Army Core. But if anyone knows who I could talk to about about running this type of tournament at Galts Ferry ramp it would be greatly appreciated. I know it is possible because we were able to do the Benefit Tournament for Brian Cox at that ramp. They might of just made that one exception but not sure.

I understand that just about anywhere we decide will have some sort of ramp permit to become eligible to set an official date with the people that run the ramp.

Our initial plan is to successfully get many people interested and do a tournament like the one I'm trying to plan once a year compared to smaller tournaments multiple times a year. I know creating and running a tournament like this successfully is a lot of work but have already made great progress.

Breakfast: potentially doughnuts or might talk to a local mcdonalds and get mcmuffins or something.
Weigh-in: potentially Dominos Pizza
Raffle items: still in progress

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16675 08/13/14 11:09 AM
Bob Smith Offline
GFF Team Angler
GFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by FishermanFrank
Hey everybody, so I have been doing some talking around and it sounds like my Club members and I are slowly coming to agreements with certain parts of this fundraiser tournament.

Two main questions:
1.) I'm not asking for a specific date yet but what month do ya'll think will spark the most interest to people? Best month in the fall and best month in the spring? (I like fishing in the winter too but not sure if everyone would be willing to do something like this in the extreme cold unless it was for a tragic accident). If we are going to base it on strictly the time of year that people get the most bites then that would be April - May in the Spring. But then there are occasionally some great flurries of schooling spotted bass in the Fall as well. Beginning in Sep hunting season starts (dove, deer, etc) It is hard to draw a good crowd, Spring is better around March or April. The big problem here is the number of other tournaments going on at the same time. Spring is still your best bet, you just have to roll the dice and hope that you can draw a crowd.

2.) I prefer Gatewood ramp because of how much I have fished there and how it is run by Bartow County and know the people who run it. But before we commit to Gatewood Ramp my club members wanted me to check into the possibility of doing it out of Galts Ferry Ramp. Yes I know it is Army Core. But if anyone knows who I could talk to about about running this type of tournament at Galts Ferry ramp it would be greatly appreciated. I know it is possible because we were able to do the Benefit Tournament for Brian Cox at that ramp. They might of just made that one exception but not sure. If it doesn't conflict with one of my other events, I can usually squeeze in another event on my permit and that would save you from spending $50 for a single event (standard cost of 15 events at COE ramps and infinite number at Gatewood as long as they are scheduled in advance. let me know what date you are targeting and I will include it in my planning and scheduling at Gatewood

I understand that just about anywhere we decide will have some sort of ramp permit to become eligible to set an official date with the people that run the ramp.

Our initial plan is to successfully get many people interested and do a tournament like the one I'm trying to plan once a year compared to smaller tournaments multiple times a year. I know creating and running a tournament like this successfully is a lot of work but have already made great progress.

Breakfast: potentially doughnuts or might talk to a local mcdonalds and get mcmuffins or something.
Weigh-in: potentially Dominos Pizza
Raffle items: still in progress

Porko LIKE the GFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/georgiafishingforum
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16677 08/13/14 12:34 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Ok cool, thanks for the info Bob. And really do appreciate the offer. There is a good chance I take you up on that offer. I will let my teammates know what you said and see what they have to say.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16682 08/13/14 05:39 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Hey everybody, so I followed up with the latest information that Bob sent me. After talking it over with members of the team and hearing their thoughts and opinions of when to actually do this tournament and it sounds like if we are going to do one it will be sometime this fall. A couple members will be graduating this December so fall will be the best to get more help and participation from my team members. But the biggest reason is most of our official college tournaments will be in the Spring so would make it even more difficult to try and schedule one in the spring.

So now I am trying to figure out schedules of other tournaments that will be fishing this fall.

Dates that I already wouldn't work:
•Sept 6th Porko Midnight Madness I guess that can be a possible date since we would be running ours from safe-light to 2:30 or 3:00pm.
•Sept 13th ABA AFT D125
•Sept 20th Porko Midnight madness I guess that can be a possible date since we would be running ours from safe-light to 2:30 or 3:00pm.
•Sept 26th ABA WBS Southern Regional
•Oct 4th ABA AFT D125
•Oct 11th Castaway Bass Weiss still might be a possible date.
•Oct 18th ABA AFT D125
•Oct 25th if I fish the ABA AFT National Championship at Old Hickory but if I don't that might be a possible working date.
•Nov 8th ABA AFT D125
•Nov 15th if I qualify and fish the ABA WBS Ray Scott Championship at Wheeler Lake but if I don't that might be a possible working date.
•Dec 6th ABA AFT D125

Dates that might work:
•November 22nd
• November 29th or November 28th Black Friday tournament might be possible. That would be during Thanks Giving break!! Thanksgiving day is Thursday November 27th.

Thanks again for ya'll time and patience smile

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16683 08/13/14 08:10 PM
R
RabidCliff Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I guess the day time tournaments start after labor day? real_mad

Re: KSU Fishing Team [Re: FishermanFrank] #16685 08/13/14 08:30 PM