Coastal Conservation Association Georgia
BASSMASTER
GFF on Facebook
International Game Fish Association
Barry Stokesí Southwest Outdoors Report
Honey Hole All Outdoors Television
Advertisement
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Bob Smith), 405 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
yankurcrank, Regw70, DeckedOutJonBoats, Jason M, Cross Rods
6374 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Bob Smith 3,949
bojangles 1,483
IceAAA 923
GFF Staff 733
Tom Cox 501
Craig 480
Wally 382
Forum Statistics
Forums28
Topics4,267
Posts18,811
Members6,374
Most Online642
Aug 11th, 2019
Print Thread
Buying a used boat? #14901 11/07/13 11:58 AM
F
FishermanFrank Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Hey everybody, as it is starting to get closer to winter time you also get closer to your best time of year to find a possible great deal on a used boat for sale. I have a few questions when I am looking at a used boat for sale.
What is your opinion on boats that have motors with 400+ hours on it?
What is your opinion on boats that have a new or rebuilt power head on them as far as reliability to get plenty of use out of the motor?
I generally like to look at low hour use boats (1-200 hour range) but wanted to hear some input from you guy's on possibly buying a rig that was used more.
This bass boat rig would be a 20' boat with either 225-250hp on it.
Top 5 choices on motors on my next boat will be Mercury Optimax, Mercury Optimax Pro XS, Yamaha SHO, Yamaha HPDI, and Evinrude E-tec HO in 225-250hp.
Thanks for your time,
Frank

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14903 11/07/13 12:34 PM
Bob Smith Online Content
GFF Team Angler
Online Content
GFF Team Angler
I will throw some things at you really quickly (getting ready for work).
400+ hours is not a lot if the boat is obviously well maintained. Also a good rebuilt motor will last as long or longer than a new one, but in either case it's a [censored] shoot because unless you can pull the head covers off the engine and examine the cylinders there just is no really reliable way of knowing how long it will last. Do a compression check, a lake check and look for excessive carbon on the plugs.

You can run a poll on the motor choices and it will almost be balanced. Folks favor the one they own, simply stated. In today's economy I fail to see the value in the really big motors anymore (just my opinion). I like the room I have in my 20' boat, but my 200hp gets me up around 60mph. That seems to be about good enough for me. I have gotten away from long runs these days and look to spending my time looking for the fish in the area closer to where I launch. I guess "how much money is on the line" plays into some guys thinking when it comes to making those long runs, but for most of the tournaments on Toona, that ain't enough money to justify it in my opinion.
Anyway, let's see what the other folks say. Thanks for posting an interesting topic. I've seen the same questions asked many times over the years and they always get some really good answers.

Porko LIKE the GFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/georgiafishingforum
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14906 11/07/13 01:15 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
I appreciate your response. Yeah the motors I mentioned are ones I am considering on my next boat not necessarily favoring 1 over another. I have to keep my options open if I want to find a good deal.
The biggest reason I want a 20-21 foot bass boat with a 225-250hp is not just for speed. Within the next year or 2 I plan on fishing as a Boater for a college fishing team, or fish on my own in FLW BFL, and ABA Weekend Bass Series. And I would want a bigger boat to fish different big bodies of water because of how rough conditions can get out there.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14907 11/07/13 01:25 PM
Bob Smith Online Content
GFF Team Angler
Online Content
GFF Team Angler
up

Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14909 11/07/13 03:32 PM
T
Tom Cox Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Check out Boating Atlanta...they usually have a few good looking used boats in inventory. They take a lot trades on the new boats they sell....ask for David or Lisa Freeman. They have a well equiped Z-9 for sale $29.9k or there abouts but not much else in the 20ft range at the moment. If you fish FLW either BFL or college you owe it to yourself to checkout and consider "bonus" money available for owning a Ranger...seems like they pay even if the boat is used.

Good luck with your search sounds like a good approach that you are taking. Whatever you purchase give it a good once-over before you buy.

Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14912 11/07/13 07:00 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thanks for the information. Yeah I have to keep that "bonus" money in mind. Triton for ABA and Ranger for FLW. But at least starting out I won't rule out other name brands because I don't have a big price range at the moment. I just wanted to get a head start with my research so when I see a great deal on a boat I'm looking for then I have the knowledge I need to make a wise decision on a purchase.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14913 11/08/13 01:45 AM
B
Brother Bill Offline
Angler
Angler
B
My advice would be decide what you can afford, not what you want in a boat. And find a boat that is in your budget. You can always add up grades as you go. All the best know brand boats are all about the same, the ride may vary a little but not that much. Storage and deck space will be something to look at. Good luck on your search!!

"Brother" Bill from Tennessee

Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14914 11/08/13 05:30 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thanks smile
Yeah I really do need to think over what my realistic price range is and go from there. If I can't do anything this winter I am almost positive ill find a rig by next winter. Just have to be patient.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14927 11/10/13 05:49 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Well, after talking to my parents about my plans for the next few years and it sounds like I'm better off fishing with what I have now and continue saving until I can truly afford the boat I am really wanting. For now I just have to become the best fisherman I can be with the equipment and knowledge I do have. Also to continue my knowledge and learning of bass fishing. If I fish the ABA Weekend Bass Series or FLW BFL this coming up season it would be as a Co-angler so no need to break the bank on a bigger boat right this minute but I am going to save like crazy this next 6-months to a year until I find that boat package I am looking for at the right price. I still like searching and learning what kind of deals pop up somedays online.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14928 11/10/13 02:33 PM
Bob Smith Online Content
GFF Team Angler
Online Content
GFF Team Angler
You have wise parents! You are young and if you turn out to be a great bass fishing opportunities will come your way. Educate yourself for a career in case bass fishing doesn't pan out, then worry about a career in the bass fishing industry.

Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14930 11/10/13 04:59 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Yes. My parents have taught me well. Yes, I'm on track to receive a computer science degree in 2 more years and I am possibly considering getting another degree in business marketing. My goal is to see how far I can really go in the fishing business but if it doesn't workout I still have a great foundation to have a great paying job to raise a family with. Sky is the limit for me. The biggest key is to not rush anything. I am still 20 years young smile Because I have heard of people trying to go all in with the fishing and lose the wife, kids, house, and boat.

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14933 11/11/13 12:14 AM
B
Brother Bill Offline
Angler
Angler
B
At least the boat was last thing to go!!!! Just kidding.

Originally Posted by FishermanFrank
Yes. My parents have taught me well. Yes, I'm on track to receive a computer science degree in 2 more years and I am possibly considering getting another degree in business marketing. My goal is to see how far I can really go in the fishing business but if it doesn't workout I still have a great foundation to have a great paying job to raise a family with. Sky is the limit for me. The biggest key is to not rush anything. I am still 20 years young smile Because I have heard of people trying to go all in with the fishing and lose the wife, kids, house, and boat.

"Brother" Bill from Tennessee

Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: FishermanFrank] #14937 11/11/13 12:39 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
hahaha smile

www.abangeorgia.com

5X3 No-Excuses!!
Fish-The-Cast!!
Re: Buying a used boat? [Re: Bob Smith] #14943 11/11/13 06:15 AM
B
buzzbuster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Bob Smith
You have wise parents! You are young and if you turn out to be a great bass fishing opportunities will come your way. Educate yourself for a career in case bass fishing doesn't pan out, then worry about a career in the bass fishing industry.
X2 What Bob said.

Mike
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  bojangles, IceAAA, Mwest48, Wally 

© 2011-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide