Haha...there is no telling what might happen out there. But, I do know with this bigger reel, we are really going to step up the size of our bait. The plan is to drop a bait that weight a little more than the average limit of Allatoona specials.
I spent the evening taking line off the spool, and boy was that a chore! I ended up hooking up a wooden dowel to a drill, and 3 batteries later, I finally had the line off the spool. I disassembled everything, and left it soaking in vinegar over night. Everything cleaned up pretty well, but I do need a few parts. One of the bearings was so rusted that I had to take vice grips to pull it off the spool shaft, so that will need to be replaced:
And the drag washers are the old asbestos ones, and really could use an update, so I am going to order a new set of those as well. But, all the chrome pieces seem to be in decent shape, and the soaking really brought back some shine to them.
And just for kicks, I took a picture of the side plate next to a 9/0 senator, which is a massive reel in its own right:
So far this has been a fun project. I can't wait to get some parts ordered and put this all back together. Hopefully it goes together as easily as it came apart!