Coastal Conservation Association Georgia
BASSMASTER
GFF on Facebook
International Game Fish Association
Barry Stokes’ Southwest Outdoors Report
Honey Hole All Outdoors Television
Advertisement
Who's Online
1 registered (dannyp), 332 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Todd Driscoll, alan_strong, Delbert Wilson, Max, NorCrossMarine
6349 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bob Smith 3856
bojangles 1483
IceAAA 923
GFF Staff 680
Coach Paul 554
Tom Cox 501
Craig 480
FishermanFrank 460
Wally 382
anglingadventures 376
Forum Stats
6349 Members
28 Forums
4084 Topics
18554 Posts

Max Online: 519 @ 06/21/17 03:58 PM
Topic Options
#18483 - 11/12/16 09:12 AM Points to Ponder! LOL
Bob Smith Offline

Loc: Cartersville, GA US of A
I have a philosophical question that I hope to draw some of the lurkers out and get started talking!
I live near Lake Allatoona just north of Atlanta, this lake gets pummeled with tournaments every weekend. During the summer it seems like five nights a week the lake one, two and sometimes three tournaments going on at one time.
Here's an observation I've made and it applies especially to the non-summer weeks; I watch a number of folks report on the forums and talk to several of my retired buddies who get to fish through the week when there are no tournaments. Some folks report really fine catches and have pictures to back it up. Then on tournament day (Saturday normally), they just seem to shut down or slow down (I know there are exceptions, but I am talking about the average angler not the big guns on the lake) even though conditions are the same. On a lake the size of Allatoona, my theory is that when the tournaments blast off and boats go flying down the lake in every direction these fish know that something's going on and shut down. It's sort of like the second day of gun season when you're hunting deer. Did you ever notice the kill ratio drops from the first morning to the second morning? I believe that the sound of the guns going off all over is a clear signal to the deer that they better hunker down!
What do ya'll think?

#18487 - 11/13/16 07:59 PM Re: Points to Ponder! LOL [Re: Bob Smith]
swin Offline
Outdoorsman

Bob I think you have a good point and speaking of points for the last month I have been fishing during the week one day a week and fishing two points with some success 8 to 10 lbs. per day from them. The past two Sat. Have had a tournament and have not caught a fish off of either point. I think the boat traffic has to have something to do with it. Just my two cents

#18488 - 11/13/16 08:36 PM Re: Points to Ponder! LOL [Re: swin]
Bob Smith Offline

Originally Posted By: swin
Bob I think you have a good point and speaking of points for the last month I have been fishing during the week one day a week and fishing two points with some success 8 to 10 lbs. per day from them. The past two Sat. Have had a tournament and have not caught a fish off of either point. I think the boat traffic has to have something to do with it. Just my two cents

I know there are a lot of smart folks out there, but that has to make sense! What else could shut them down to completely like that?

#18489 - 11/15/16 01:44 AM Re: Points to Ponder! LOL [Re: Bob Smith]
Occasionalfisher Offline
Outdoorsman

I think it is many things going on all at once.
All the boat waves in this clear water seems to change the bite. You can still catch the fish shallow, but they seem to really spread out and get even more spooky when there is more boat traffic.
Pre-fishing during the week hammers these fish to the point that some weekend days they are just spooked.
Saturday we fished a tournament out of the Red Top ramp, Gatewood had the ABA, Gaults had at least one, if not two tournaments going on there and not sure if any other tourneys were going on, but people go up and pre-fish all week by the time the weekend comes along you better be doing something different because they have already seen most of the fall classic baits.
Clear water can be a good thing, people still catch big sacks at Lanier, but I think the clarity right now is really hurting any kind of solid pattern from forming. I know at Weiss, always dirty water, boat waves don't seem to bother the fish too much, but at Toona, you can see the fish easing out to those suspend areas when it gets wavey, and when they do that they get very tough on me to catch.
The last thing is the drawdown / drought conditions have taken much of the sizable cover out of the water at this point and that has not helped in holding fish in those areas.

#18490 - 11/15/16 06:36 AM Re: Points to Ponder! LOL [Re: Occasionalfisher]
Bob Smith Offline

good points, Ron!

Moderator:  bojangles, IceAAA, Mwest48, Wally 

� 2011-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide